Monday, May 20, 2013

Mentorship

Literal:
Summer Mentorship
Mentorship
Check logs for contact info.
Interpretive:
Mentorship has provided me with experience, which is extremely important when it comes to Stage Managing. While research and books gave me a basic understanding of what Stage Managing was, it is a topic that requires you to get hands on to really appreciate it. My mentorship gave me plenty of the experience and guidance under Greg Cohen and Emerald Gonzalez, both of whom were invaluable when it came to answering my questions and giving me tips when I was trying to work things out. Experience is also necessary when one is bidding for jobs at a theatre, because there is a good chance that the company will not hire anyone with no experience. My mentor, Greg, has told me numerous stories about moving to Southern California from Northern California, and how he had issues finding jobs here because all of his experience was in local theatres up north.
Applied:
My essential question is 'What makes a Stage Manager essential to a theatrical production,' and my mentorship helped me both form this question and answer it. My best answer to my essential question is calling the show, and I got to do this for two shows for my mentorship. Actually working the shows gave me hands on experience, and helped me realize that my first two answers were only important in the rehearsal period, and that the Stage Manager really takes control of things during the run of the show. In addition to the hands-on aspect, I was also able to ask my mentors, Greg and Emerald, about my answers, and their input helped me decide which were important, and which weren't necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment